Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 11: GLBTQ and IPV

So this week we are talking about GLBTQ and IPV. However, I've talked a lot about GLBTQ issues throughout these sections so if you are interested in the basic facts I suggest you look through my previous entries. In this section I will post about how the intersection between HIV and IPV and how heterosexism plays out in same-sex IPV.

So Same-Sex partners, like Two-Spirit partners, have an extra weapon that can be used agasint them in an IPV context: Heterosexism. Sometimes a violent partner will use the threat of outing their partner to keep them in the relationship. Now, some of you might be wondering how two people who are in a same-sex relationship are closeted. It does happen, however. When someone comes out they often loose things that are very important to them. Sometimes they loose family, friends, possessions, and in extreme cases, they can loose their life. Sometimes they're lucky like me, and don't loose anything, but everyone is different. So people might be in a same-sex relationship and still be closeted for many reasons. Violent partners can use this as leverage to keep abusing the victim. This DV wheel can explain it a little better than I can:



The next part of this that I want to tackle is the intersection between HIV and IPV. I looked up this fantastic article about a clinic that did a study on this topic because one of the target groups I want to work with in the future is people with HIV/AIDS. So I thought this information would definitely benefit me in my future. I don't want to go into helping someone with HIV/AIDS with my blinders on thinking that their only issues they may have is their positive status. So I'm tackling my own bias and blindness here.

Anyways, so this study was published in 2010 by AIDS care. It examined patients with HIV/AIDS that were both heterosexual, homosexual, and MSM's (Men Having Sex with Men). A quick side note: we use the term MSM because not all men who have sex with men identify as homosexual. Sexual orientation, like gender, is pretty fluid. It's not unheard of having a straight man having sex with a gay man or bi or transgendered person.

Anyways, the study showed that in this clinic about 73% of people said that they experienced IPV sometime in their life. 20% reported that they were currently being abused. of these folks, 85% experienced physical abuse.  30% of these folks interviewed perceived their abuse was due to their HIV status. That's pretty huge! Also the highest rates of IPV in participants with HIV/AIDS were among African Americans and MSM's. 

Also, my sister sent me an article about sero-discordant couples (couples where one partner is positive and the other is negative). The author commented on the power differences in that can play out. For example, sometimes a positive partner might feel undeserving of love, or too dependent on the negative partner. A violent partner could out them on their status, or even mess with their medication that can endanger their lives. There are horrible ways that violent partners can exploit their postive partners. On the other hand, positive partners can also threaten to infect their negative partners in a way to keep them in a violent relationship.

While this can and does happen, it is important to remember that not everyone with HIV/AIDS or their partners (negative or positive) are violent. However, for me (and for you folks!) it is important to know about, especially since I want to work with this group sometime in my near future.

So that's what I discovered and felt for this discussion this week!

If you want to find out more about the study above look up:  HIV and IPV
If you want to know more about sero-discordant couples and DV check out AskAlice: Sero-Discordant Couples

And always remember:





No comments:

Post a Comment